May 13, 2015

Behind the scenes of My PSLE Life



Had so much fun filming this one with my beyond adorable colleagues, and being marveled by the simple pleasures that a concrete playground could actually bring. Imagine a childhood made out of bruises from falling on concrete steps, grazed knees, sandy hands and feet because heck no, there weren't soft rubbery flooring to cushion the blows.

Our childhood was made out of these unattractive blocks of concrete and bricks. Since when did they turn almost extinct, I wonder. These depleting structures, have become so "hipster" to photograph at. The same structures that are hugely unpopular amongst paranoid parents. Weren't these the same playgrounds their parents used to play in. How has it become dangerous and accident prone all of a sudden. Since when did parents become so protective, that falling down is a crime and grazed knees are a sign of bad parenting.

I remember falling down a lot as a kid, and even now. I'm usually bruised at the knees at any given point of my life. And I've learnt to know that falling down is okay. I'm not afraid of falling, ever. A scraped arm, cut on my legs never freaks me out. I don't know about you, but I see a lot of parents getting way too paranoid about their kids. Shoving a whole load of safe activities down their kid's schedule and child proofing their lives.  Man, your kids need to go out and run around the hood for christ sake.

Take them to these old playgrounds and tell them about your childhood. Go on the slides with them and play "catching" like how you would years ago. Let them go crazy on those tyre swings like how you used to. Conceptualizing My PSLE Life has been an interesting journey and I hope you (if you are a parent) would take away something reading this. Take your kids on an adventure to this old playground!


Dakota Crescent, Block 10
Singapore 390010


No comments: