Jan 12, 2015

The Door Project.







- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




Spent an afternoon at Tiong Bahru and was throughly fascinated by how some of the residents revamped their homes in this iconically known estate full of old houses that were built some 80 years ago. Tiong Bahru is one of the first public housing estate in Singapore which was once a residential area for the upper class, and an estate where the rich and powerful kept their mistresses. In that sense, Tiong Bahru continue to excite me, with a good mixture of historic value and modernity peppered along the streets.

When I talk to elders about Tiong Bahru, their eyes brighten and I sense a pang of nostalgia gently oozing from their words. Many of our elders would find this particular place familiar. And this is not entirely about the iconic food stalls that now make up Tiong Bahru Market. Although I highly recommend you trying the Char Siew and Roasted Pork rice (look out for the store that has two units.. I think its called Lee Hong Kee). So incredibly good. I had a late lunch and ordered a plate of that fatty goodness.. was gently chided by the store auntie for eating at such a late hour (it was 3pm). Reminds me of my late mother, as she forced food down my throat as a kid. Was that type of kid who refused to eat anything until I was chased and coaxed with candy after meals.

Apart from orgasmic local food... I think many people are not aware that Tiong Bahru used to be a cemetery before development. The upperclass lived there, in apartment blocks no more than 5 stories high. Along the years, a good mix of middle class and hawkers joined the estate and made it the vibrant neighborhood it is today.

Look closely and you would spot air raid shelters along Guan Chuan street, used during the World War II. Now, these air raid shelters are sealed and no longer in use. Pretty amazing how these shelters can accommodate up to 1500 people during the war. All these below our feet while we stroll along the streets of Tiong Bahru, taking hipster pictures and all.

The Door Project is stemmed from the idea of homes in iconic Singaporean estates, the mix of old and new. The marriage of history and modernity. I was taking a slow stroll along this quiet estate and took some pictures of the doors of houses that I was drawn towards. 

This is........ The Door Project. From the perspective of a lady from the 90s, stuck between an era of old and new.




No comments: